I use the Zaxcom system for recording and mixing audio. It has certain benefits over other mixers. For instance, I can transmit wireless timecode to cameras, but I can also transmit low-bandwidth audio to devices that lack timecode functionality, such as DSLRs. This makes it much easier to sync material in the edit suite, rather than relying on the camera’s on-board microphone. I can also supply IFB, so the director can listen wirelessly to whatever he/she wants. The securely encrypted wireless link to camera is digital, so suffers none of the companding problems that plague analogue radio systems. It integrates a timecode link, thereby reducing your costs. The mixer is extremely versatile and is capable of routing scenarios that are well beyond other devices. I also use an RF distribution system for much greater range and reliability, along with a range of antennas for various long-distance reception scenarios.
My rates are in line with the BECTU ratecard. For equipment, I charge £100 for a standard audio package (mixer, boom, 2 radios), £50 for a wireless link to camera, £30 per extra radio mic channel, £50 for ISO recordings, and £20 per ERX2TCD (for scratch audio/timecode, IFB/IEM etc).
The list below shows the components of my main soundkit. I drive a Lexus RX400h, which has seating for five. I am an IPAF licence holder and can operate lifting equipment in categories 3a and 3b. I also ride a motorcycle.
- Zaxcom Nomad 10 multichannel digital mixer and recorder
- Zaxcom two-channel digital radio link to camera (includes timecode)
- Four Lectrosonics hybrid digital radio mics
- Zaxcom Micplexer 2 RF distribution system
- DPA 4061 Core or Tram TR-50 or Sony ECM 77B lapel mics, for above radio system
- Lectrosonics HH hybrid digital handheld radio mic
- Lectrosonics UT-400 hybrid digital handheld radio mic
- Two Zaxcom ERX2TCD remote timecode/audio/IFB
- Four Sony ECM 77B lapel mics
- Sennheiser MKH-60 boom mic
- Two Sennheiser MKH-40 cardioid mics for sitdown interviews
- Beyerdynamic M58 dynamic mic
- Two Shure M58 dynamic mics
- Ambient 3.45m boom pole
- long list of accessories and cables